Many people use an unhealthy/dysfunctional childhood as an excuse for acting in an inappropriate or acceptable way today.
- Regardless of the past, however, each of us can choose the kind of life we want to build for ourselves now. We can decide to reprogram ourselves with new, positive directions rather than allow past experiences, negative feelings, prejudices, putdowns, and myths to affect our present-day behavior.
- Past negative experiences cannot and should not be used to excuse present negative behavior. People are tired of dealing with other people who constantly act like victims.
- The measure of our character is not how we handle ourselves when life is easy but how we rise above the unfairness of life and make healthy, ethical choices that benefit others and ourselves at any given moment.
- We can choose to refuse to let an unhealthy past govern our present life.
- One of the most effective ways to enhance the image we have of ourselves as well as how others view us is to increase our self-esteem.
Sheryl Tuchman, SPHR, SHRM-SCP